Inspiring Ideas for Teachers: iTunes U Courses

iTunes U has an abundant amount of resources for educators. There are thirty different courses available. These courses are written by classroom teachers that are Apple Distinguished Educators and also by the Apple Professional Development team. The courses are free and provide information that you can use in your classroom. A few courses that interest me are; Primary Language Arts, Primary Math, and Primary Science. To discover these resources go to iTunes U. Under Learning Resources, click or tap on For Educators. The first row will include the Inspiring Lesson Ideas, then click or tap on see all to see all thirty courses.

There are other courses, such as Best Practices and Professional Development. There are four courses under this title. The course I read through was Building Self-Advocacy.

20150701-143828.jpg
This unit has seven readings that focus on developing self-advocacy skills for primary grade students using iPads. There are assignments that go with each reading. The course is outlined by introducing the topic, building understanding, and applying learning.
This unit focuses on educators ensuring the students are cared for and that they feel safe so that the students can learn at an optimal level. Another focus is to provide opportunities for the students so they can establish and refine heir own skill set. Another focus is having the students identify their own stregths and needs. By understanding both, students can evaluate what they need to achieve their goals.

To use this course in my classroom, I would like to implement the assignment of the reading of Chrysanthemum. While reading the book, I would have the students consider reflecting and answering these questions. Reflect on the main character’s challenge at school,
write about a particular challenge you have faced at school, what things did you do to solve your problem, and did you get help from someone?

20150701-150510.jpg